Tuesday 5 November 2013

The spoiled one?


            The March sisters' journey is near its ending, and the saying is that's when the sugar comes. Is it the case now? I'll leave it to your judgment. Because the last of the sisters is the youngest one, Amy March, „family's pet“ and „baby of the family“, cared and cuddled but very stubborn and capricious young girl.
                                                


            If Jo is the one that readers love the most, and like to identify with, then Amy is, by the opinion of literature theoretics as well as the reading audience, the one readers love to hate. The two the sisters are, besides taking completely opposite sides in the readers' hearts, bonded by one of the most controversial  relations in the book. They both are very talented and artistic, Jo in the written word and Amy in all kinds of arts. Contrary to what you might think, that line brings them apart rather then bringing them together. Being the youngest, Amy was craving her sisters' acceptance , which was missing very often, leading to unpleasent situations caused by her anger and concocted reactions. Just remember how she burnt her sister's manuscript as a punishment for one such „disobedience“. Still, bear in mind Amy's fragile age of only 12 at the time the „crime“ was executed, and no one really wants to be remembered as a twelve years old version of themselves, don't they?

Kirsten Dunst as Amy March in 1994. adaptation

            We meet a girl who fits the standars of a spoiled brat by every criteria, the youngest sister, the one that always gets her way, or at least so it seems, with beautiful blond hair and deep blue eyes. Her only concern is that her nose isn't sophisticated enough while social climbing and learning difficult, sophisticated words are her only occupation. Amy carries her temper as her biggest burden and her talent for all kinds of visual arts, from sketching to sculpturing, as her greatest treasure.
            Just as well as Beth fits the role of angel in the house Amy fits hers and, being that way, she has probably driven many of the readers crazy to the level when they were rolling their eyes every time she makes a sentence, snorting their noses to her behavior or simply skipping parts of the book with her in charge. I have to admit I wasn't fond of her either, especially when I first read a book as a child, but thinking about it now it made me realize I wasn't quite fair towards Amy as she turns out to be a very nice young lady, both by her appearance and personality. Still, most of us see her as a little spoiled brat whose temper costs Jo her manuscript or who, for temper's sake as well, leaves school after being disciplined by her teacher for the disobedience. Eventually she does change, mostly on her European tour where she meets Laurie, kind neighbour from back home whose proposal Jo recently refused. The two of them fall for each other and decide to get married.

Samantha Mathis and Christian Bale, 1994. adaptation
Elizabeth Taylor and Peter Lawford, 1949. adaptation


There is a lot, in my opinion rather unfair, judgmental criticism towards Amy for accepting the proposal but not many (if any at all) will judge Laurie for proposing. Yes, yes, I agree. I felt terribly sorry Jo didn't end up in Amy's place but it was, in the end, her choice. It was her desire to choose someone on her own, not to end up with a boy everyone was expecting her to end up with. By that choice, again, only in my humble opinion, she lost every right to be mad or resentment for the action of her younger sister who, by then, was mature enough to accept the proposal, not because of money or social position but indeed for true love. Sure thing, Laurie is not poor or without any reputation but remember, just for a moment, how Amy turned down professor from Harvard, a lot more loaded and with better pedigree, in favor of her feelings for Laurie. „Phew“, I hear Amy's haters among you snorting their noses, „should we congratulate her doing  the right thing and showing she's not just a gold digger?“I agree. In a way. On the other hand, is marying for love, or acting towards your feelings, socially accepted today and, moreover, was it socially accepted over 100 years ago?



Would Amy find approval in modern world? Besides Meg, Amy fits social conventions of „Little women“ period the most. Therefore, I see no reason for her to be seen as „social outlaw“ nowdays. It is another question whether each of us like her, but from a general point of view, young and beautiful, nice mannered, rising artist with a lot of friends, married to a beautiful and successful young man would probably be most welcome guest to various social events such as theatre and exhibition openings.
I read somewhere that Amy March, if she was contemporaries with plastic surgery, would surely have her nose done, said in a really bad, mocking tone and context. Very sensitive when it comes to her appearance as she was, I believe she would at least consider that option, but it doesn't make her shallower or worse person then those who are „wearing“ the same nose, ears or any other part of their bodies throughout the life. Amy likes it nice, it is nothing to be ashamed of. She is ambitious and craves for perfection, qualities worth admiration, if you ask me.
Modern Amy, in my imagination, lives in a big, spacious, beautifully decorated house whose interior is her own design, down to the last little detail. There is also a tastefully decorated garden and a small rosary, all located in one of the European capitals, probably Paris. Her home is neither pretentious nor pushy, as some might think, but rather a warm and charming place with heart and soul. As Laurie is a doctor at the Paris hospital, Amy would love to spend more time together, but well aware of the nature of his job she spends her days in painting, sculpting, new exhibitions preparation and care for their only child, little Elizabeth, named after her beloved late sister and very sickly as well. Caring for a sick child, Amy went through even greater change, now even more willingly visiting charity dinners and concedeing some of her artworks for charity auctions.
Untill now, my vision of characters described on this blog was simply mine, created as a part of my imagination, neither inspired or influenced by celebrities or random people, my friends and family. But as soon as I decided to write a post on Amy March, I knew it would be different because there is a person in this blogosphere who reminds me of Amy so much, so lively, I couldn't resist to mention her here. It is my dear friend Arianna from Nymphashion blog. This decision strengthened as Arianna declared herself as always being more like Amy. Arianna's sense for beauty in general, her love towards all kinds of art, her charming and warm  approach, beautiful blond hair and bright eyes made me feel as I have Amy March infront of myself and the decision was made.

Source


How and where Arianna buys her clothes is still a mystery to me, but I'm almost 100% certain Amy does it with a plan, after something draws her attention in french edition of Vogue. Sometimes even fashion designers, Amy's good friends, leave for her pieces they think depict her the best. And what kind of items are those? Simple, gentle, romantic, sometimes even brave and corageous but always steadily and chosen with a lot of taste, just the way they should be. Price is not a problem for her, which doesn't mean she'll refuse to step into low cost shops. On the contrary, if a new, still unknown designer drives her attention she'll be more then glad to promote his work by wearing his clothes to any social event she attends, mainly her exhibition openings. Only rule when it comes to clothing is that there are no pants for they are unknown term in her fashion dictionary.



As she is working, I picture Amy at the spacious, attic ateliere with a big roof window behind and a blanc paper put on an easel, with beautiful stories waiting to be depicted, infront of her. Hair is removed from her face, formed in a pony tail or knitted in a braid. Amy is not a pants believer but, since it can be rather cold in the attic, especially during autumn and winter period, she chooses leggings instead, combined with a warm sweater or tunic. High-heeled ankle boots are the only stylish moment of her attic outfits; you see, Amy is not very tall so wearing heels fills her with confidence (and it is much easier to give Laurie a quick kiss if he comes to visit). 



Quite on the contrary is Amy going to her exhibition openings. That is the time she can and wants to be in the centere of attention, truly star of the evening. So she always does her best to shine in her best glow, dressing up for hours, curling her beautiful hair and then leaving it to fall freely on her shoulders. Normally she'd never dare to pick red, but on evenings like this that exact color is what brings a bit of drama and sensuality to her apperanace. Can you honestly think of something more appealing then pale skined, blond haired ice queen in flaming red? I know most of her guests can't. Believing such a beauty needs no jewelery, Amy picks only a pair of really expensive earrings given to her by Laurie as a gift for her graduation and a Tiffany watch, a gift from herself for the same occasion. Still, the most beautiful accessory is the bouquet of red roses Laurie never forgets to send her, with his and Besses name on the card.



Loss of a sister in youthood and illness of an only child caused Amy to enroll more in charity work at the community. Enjoying life, security and all the things financial stability brought didn't make her forget her childhood or the fact that there are people who need money more then her family does. And she is willing to help. Attending such dinners, Amy does not feel like a star and adjusts her clothes to the event; her colors are more neutral, gentle, her hair is combed into a strict hairstyle with a pair of golden earring as her only jewelery. Still, even then she won't say no if asked to take a photo for local news magazine. All to promote an event, of course.



In the end, if you want to know the real Amy, you'll have to catch her surrounded by her loved ones, cause then she feels like her real self, a good wife and a caring mother, enjoying in passing on the thing for art on to her little girl, who is showing more affection for Aunt Jo's work and using Mom's drawings only as a template for her little stories. Girls enjoy walking and playing in the nearby park, especially if Dad is free and willing to join them. Then it becomes irrelevant if the colours match or is the hair up or down, the only thing that matters is to see Bess smile. And, of course, to take all of her favorite toys in Mum's favorite backpack.
I believe many of you think of modern Amy in different ways and, since this is only my vision, I'd love to hear some of yours.
This is where the journey with the March sisters ends. But our journey together continues. I hope you had as much fun reading it as I had writing, and I wish to have more such splendid times in the near future. Today is my birthday so I'll try to make my own version of birthday post. For our next regular meeting I've chosen a book that seems trivial, irrelevant and just like another chick-lit but it literally changed my mind and my viewpoint on one very important issue. Because of that, it deserves a special place on my bookshelf and gained a special place in my heart. Do you have a book that changed you as a person in a way?
Until next time a lot of joyful pages from March sisters and
BookLover  

            

6 comments:

  1. glad you found my blog!.. I had not seen this book lover cyber space and I think I'll enjoy it a lot, as I've enjoyed this first post I've read.
    Little Women..one of my favorite books... and yes.. everyone loves to love Jo and loves to hate Amy.. loves to feel sorry for Beth and I don't know about Meg..but I always thought of her as lacking something.. maybe style, personality, guts.. I think she's one of those people that follows the flock, that doesn't stand out.. which is not bad at all, if she's happy as that then it's all good..
    Anyway.. Amy.. Amy... I think that Amy in modern times, she'd be one of those perfect Pasadena housewives... yes, caring for her family and all that but always trying too hard to make everything look perfect; neat; classic; chic... she's spend hours at Pilates, she'd probably have plastic surgery done in some parts of her body and face, she's wear nude and pastel colored outfits... I don't know.. I didn't like her in the book and I don't think I'd like her in real life either.
    Of course, everyone likes to feel identified with Jo.. I know I do.. but also because, I'm an artist.. (a failed one!)..I struggle to keep my art alive.. I struggle to fit in this society, I hate social events, I hate glaming up in big gowns and make up and heels... I enjoy long walks in nature and I just can't settle for a normal life.. I need something else, I don't know if I'll find it, like she did.. but there is the hope of doing so...
    There's one quote I love, that Marmee tells her... "Jo, you have so many extraordinary gifts; how can you expect to lead an ordinary life?" ...I like to flatter myself and think that it suits me too.... No wonder, I don't fit in this ordinary life.. I need something else, something different..
    I think Jo, in modern times, would be an indie girl, kind of hippie, artistic, free spirited, music lover, maybe doing some yoga..maybe loving to attend coachella fests... a wanderer... a bohemian traveler.. I think she'd still be awesome.
    I'm off to read the rest of the little women posts.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this awesome comment, you pictured the situation perfectly and I couldn't agree more, Meg is lacking guts, that is the expression I was looking for, I just missed it somehow :)
      I don't think any artist is a failed one untill he/she gives up on the art, as long as the flame is alive, the artist keeps going on. So keep your head (and your brush) high, as long as you reckon it as art, it's worth it....
      I hope you'll like the rest of the blog and we'll stay in touch :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Petra, first thing first I'm deeply honored to be Amy's face and body in your post and in your thoughts. It amuses me the fact that the description fits me perfectly (I don't know if you knew, but I actually had my nose done!) even if, sadly, I'm not an artist, at least not a visual one.
    You pictured little Amy wonderfully and I totally share your view: I can picture a grown Amy wearing that sexy red dress you chose and spraying herself half a bottle of Chanel n°5 before going out with Laurie to some pretentious and overpriced restaurant. But I also see her sweetness and sensibility when she plays the role of the sweet child that she, after all, still is and wears cute flats and funny bags as you showed in the last board.
    I hope you had a wonderful day and I wish you happy a birthday again. I'm super curious about the new post and know about the book that changed your life. I have a book that I can say it changed my life and that is "Endymion" by J. Keats. I don't know if you are familiar with poetry, maybe we can discuss it someday.
    Take care my friend and good night!

    Arianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll always be Amy to me with your fresh and charming personality :) Actually, I knew you about your rhynoplasty but I wrote this post several days before reading it on your blog, now it's just a funny coincidence...I'm very glad you are happy I chose you as my first physical "avatar" of a fictional character....
      I'd love to discuss poetry with you, my favorite is most definitely Esenin, it always fascinates me how he was able to create a thing as beautiful as his goodbye song is just a few moments before he took his life...

      Delete
  3. Love Nymphashion blog!:) and all the looks you've created are absolutely amazing!♥ especially the last one! the bag is so cute!:)

    www.lorietta.cz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear namesaker :) Yes, the bag is absolutely adorable, I fell in love with it instantly

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!